Friday, December 22, 2006

Rehearsal Notes from Thursday 12/21/2006

Not a lot of notes posting today. They worked on various scenes - the one where Tim reveals to Bridget his desire to have adopted her baby was especially poignant and caused some tears in the room. Interesting to see the collaborative style of direction that David employs sometimes - asking, listening and deciding how a scene should come across.

The topic of arcs was a big focus - the fact that when an arc slopes rapidly, it can lose the audience - better to allow a more gradual transition so the audience can be on the journey too and not feel as though they have to catch up.

A part that jumped out at me was Bridget saying how she doesn't deserve a miracle. It reminded me of a poem I found after learning about a broken statue - this may or may not capture Bridget's guilt over giving the baby up but it feels apropos somehow ....

Shame
by Vivian Gilbert Zabel

I stand nude before the world,
My faults and shortcomings
Exposed for all to see.
Like a tacky, tattered blanket,
A cloud of despair smothers me.
Layers of gray with streaks
Of blinding black press me
To the ground, a broken statue,
Tarnished by relentless rain
And worn by whimpering wind.
I cannot lift my head to watch
In case others turn from me,
Disdain displayed in their eyes.
Shame turns confidence into
Disgust for myself, burning
Like a fire without warmth,
Only a chill leaving no comfort.
How can anyone love me
When I remain disgraced in life
By being who and what I am?

It is Christmas break and the cast works on lines and reconvenes in the new year. I post a link here in honor of Mary who had to give her son over to death, so the world might be adopted ... click here for On the Morning of Christ’s Nativity by John Milton. Click here for more on the theological view of spiritual adoption in Catholic doctrine.

No comments: